The State Government will provide free public transport to and from Rugby World Cup 2003
matches in Brisbane and Townsville, Premier Peter Beattie said today.
“All people need to do is show their official Rugby World Cup 2003 ticket on the bus or train and
then join in the revelry of supporting their team with the crowd,” Mr Beattie said.
“My government is proud to support these major international events by offering locals and visitors
a fast, safe and easy way of getting to and from the games.
“Many people have already benefited from the transport arrangements for previous league and
union matches, and we wanted to continue our high standard of service.
“I am sure that if you plan your trip, use public transport and be mindful of security arrangements,
your Rugby World Cup 2003 experience in Queensland will bring a lifetime of wonderful
In Brisbane free public transport is only available on QR Citytrain and Brisbane Transport bus
services to Suncorp Stadium; and in Townsville for Sunbus and Hermit Park Bus services to Dairy
Getting to Suncorp Stadium:
- Train − Ipswich and Caboolture line passengers travel to Milton station (approx 600 metres)
and all other lines travel to Roma Street station (approx 900 metres) to access the stadium.
- Bus − special bus shuttle services will operate from Carindale, Chermside, Eight Mile
Plains/Mr Gravatt, The Gap and the city.
- Walk − the stadium is just a short walk from Brisbane’s CBD, being only a 20 minute walk
from the Queen Street Mall.
- Parking restrictions − parking restrictions apply in the local area on match days. Five
minute parking limits will apply in most of the restricted areas except where otherwise signed. On-the-spot fines will be issued to offending motorists.
Getting to Dairy Farmers Stadium in Townsville:
- Bus − special bus shuttle services will run from the city centre, Castletown Shoppingtown,
Stockland Plaza, Willows Shopping Centre and James Cook University.
- Parking − parking is available at the shopping centres but restrictions apply around the
stadium on match days.
“I encourage everyone to take advantage of these excellent services and don’t risk a parking fine," Mr Beattie said.
For the latest information about Rugby World Cup 2003 in Queensland and getting to the matches,
Closer to the event, phone TransInfo on 13 12 30 or visit www.transinfo.qld.gov.au for specific
public transport details in Brisbane. Townsville patrons should call Sunbus on 4725 8482 and
Hermit Park Bus Service on 4779 1658.
The International Rugby Board and the Australian Rugby Union are proudly staging Rugby World
Cup 2003 in Australia.
September 3, 2003
Media contact: Steve Keating 3224 4500