The former Moreton Bay Penal Settlement (est. 1825) is made available to free settlers.
The following year the North Brisbane Burial Grounds are established on this site, then beyond the boundary of the town shown in this map.
1843 – 1875
Brisbane expands rapidly surrounding the Burial Grounds which have become overcrowded.
The Brisbane General Cemetery at Toowong is officially opened in 1875 and burials mostly cease on this site.
1876 – 1910
The redundant North Brisbane Burial Grounds become overgrown.
The Queensland Government plans to redevelop this site as a recreation ground to serve the surrounding densely populated suburbs.
1910 - 1914
Relatives are advertised for by the Queensland Government and given the opportunity to have the remains and memorials moved to another cemetery at the Government’s expense.
505 headstones from this site are placed in storage in a reserve created behind Christ Church, Milton. Those not claimed by the relatives are broken up in early 1930s and used as fill.
1914 - 1918
In 1914, the former Anglican, Presbyterian, Roman Catholic and Jewish burial grounds are gazetted as Lang Park, named after the Reverend John Dunmore Lang who was instrumental in bringing migrants to directly to Brisbane in 1849.
During World War I, Lang Park is used as a parade ground.
In addition to cycling, Lang Park hosts numerous athletics carnivals. Here, C. O’Neill competes in the discus.
From 1934 Lang Park became the home of Queensland Soccer Council who subleased the grounds from the Queensland Amateur Athletics Association.
The cycling track is clearly visible in this panorama taken in 1949, the year a new track is opened at Kelvin Grove.
Since the 1920s, the Wirths’ Circus were annual visitors to Lang Park.
Their elephants were a favourite attraction and the community were saddened in 1956 when Carley died and was buried at the Hale Street side of the Park.
Lang Park became the headquarters for Queensland Rugby League.
The Queensland Government established the Lang Park Trust allowing the QRL to undertake improvements and administer all activities at Lang Park. Construction of the Frank Burke Stand commences.
Lang Park severely impacted by the Brisbane floods.
The Aboriginal community’s relationship with the site continued when Rugby League Immortal, Arthur Beetson lead Queensland onto the field for the very first State of Origin game.
The Frank Burke Stand replaced by the Western Grandstand and Lang Park renamed Suncorp-Metway Stadium.
The Queensland Government announces plans to undertake a $280 million redevelopment of the venue.
The redeveloped Suncorp Stadium reopens.
Suncorp Stadium hosts nine games of the 2003 Rugby World Cup.
Suncorp Stadium holds its first concert since the redeveloped venue re-opened.
British singer, Robbie Williams played two full-house shows.
Suncorp Stadium hosts both the semi-final and final of the 2008 Rugby League World Cup.
Suncorp Stadium receives significant damage as a result of the Brisbane floods Major repair works as a result of the flood costing $16 million were completed the following year.
Attendances since the redeveloped venue opened passed the 10 million mark.
Suncorp Stadium hosts seven games of the 2015 AFC Asian Cup.
Record venue attendance record established with 52,500 fans attending State of Origin 3.
Major upgrades to the Stadium including the unveiling of new Super Screens.
Hosts its first ever boxing event - a WBO welterweight title fight in front of an Australian record 51,026 fans - won by Brisbane’s Jeff Horn.